The first of the congregations is that of Christ Church and its school. It had its beginnings in 1842 when the East Indians who lived and worked in neighbouring Narasingapuram, Chintadripet, Pudupet and Royapettah sought a church and school close to them.
In a reference to its East Indian congregation, a footnote to a brief history of the Church says, "At the beginning of the 19th Century, they were called Indo-Britons, in the second and third quarters of the century they were known as East Indians, in the fourth quarter they were known as Eurasians, and they are now (early 20th Century) called Anglo-Indians. These changes were made at their request".
The Mount Road congregation first met in 1842 in a building loaned them by Thomas Parker Waller, an Englishman whose livery stables the property originally was. A school was established in another building in the property and the children had to compete for space in the campus with horses, coaches, farriers and grooms. A few years later, Waller donated to both the area the congregation and the school were using in order that they could raise a church and better school buildings, which they could separate from the stables.
The land and buildings Waller gifted the parishioners were estimated to be worth Rs. 12,000. Work began in 1850 on Christ Church, to a design by John Law. The tall-steeple Anglican Church, which was consecrated in 1852, cost Rs. 37,000 - and that included raising the building, developing the compound, and the solid wooden furniture, (made by Deschamps, one of the better-known furniture makers of Madras of the time).
Attention then turned to building a block for the school. Additional buildings have been added for a growing school and the church has been renovated.